Route 66 Times header image
Home > NM >

Tucumcari, NM

Located between Amarillo and Albuquerque, Tucumcari played host to countless road weary travels on the Mother Road by providing more than 1,000 motel rooms in the heyday of the highway.
xTucumcari Mountain
Located just east of town and easily seen from the Mother Road Tucumcari Mountain welcomes you to this cool town and it's active Route 66 community ... read more
Old Whiting Bros Sign
Route 66 at Quay Rd
This old Whiting Bros sign is located on the east end of Tucumcari on Route 66 next door to the Super 8 Motel ... read more
x Blaze-In-Saddle RV Park
2500 E. Route 66
The former Empty Saddle RV Park on the east side of town also accepts horses ... read more
x Old School Garage
1819 East Route 66 at Hawthorne
Junior Garza's Old School Garage was restored in 2011. It is one of ten stations painted by ... read more
xTucumcari Inn
1700 E Route 66
The mid-century Aruba Motel was masquerading as the Tucumcari Inn in 2012. As the Aruba it featured the t ... read more
xRoute 66 Motel
1620 E Route 66
The former Royal Palacio Motel is designed in the International style with floor to ceiling windows ... read more
xKiva / Historic Route 66 RV Park
1416 E Route 66
The former Kiva RV Park operated as the Rocking Horse Tourist Camp from 1948-1956. ... read more
xPalomino Motel
1215 E. Route 66
The Palomino Motel was opened in 1953. It's one of several vintage motels in Tucumcari ... read more
x Del's Restaurant
1202 E. Route 66
Del's Restaurant has been serving diners in Tucumcari since 1956 ... read more
x Trade Station Gift Shop
1201 E. Route 66
The Trade Station was restored as a vintage Texaco Station as part of the "Paint the Town" project ... read more
x Apache Motel (closed)
1106 E. Route 66
The old Apache Motel opened in 1964 and is located between the Kix on 66 and Dels restaurants ... read more
x Kix on 66 Restaurant
1102 E. Route 66
This former Denny's restaurant is only open for breakfast and lunch ... read more
x Roadrunner Lodge
1023 E Route 66
The Roadrunner Lodge is a combination of the 1960s Leatherwood Manor and the 1940s La Plaza Court ... read more
xTeepee Curios
924 E. Route 66
Tepee Curios occupies a 1944 Gulf gas station.. It's one of the last of the curio shops from the heyday of the ... read more
x Blue Swallow Motel
815 E. Route 66
The Blue Swallow Court & Cafe opened in 1941. The cafe is gone but the motel is still welcoming guests ... read more
x Safari Motel
722 E. Route 66
The Safari Motel was built in 1959 and opened in 1960 as a Best Western Crown Motel. ... read more
xAmericana Motel
406 E Route 66
This motel opened as the State Motor Lodge in 1935 and became the Desert Air Motel, then a Whiting Brothers Motel ... read more
xLa Cita Mexican Restaurant
812 S. First St
Opened in 1940 on Route 66 and moved to a new building with a sombrero-shaped entrance south of Route 66 in 1961. ... read more
xPow Wow Inn
801 W. Route 66
Lin's Motor Court grew into the Congress Inn and eventually the 92-unit Pow Wow Inn, Restaurant and ... read more
xBudget Inn
824 W. Route 66
Marvin & Alice Whittington opened the Golden W Motel in 1953and sold it a few years later. It eventually becoming the ... read more
x Ranch House Cafe
1009 W. Route 66
This long closed Mexican Restaurant was still still sporting a cool sign in 2012 ... read more
x RT 66 Monument
1500 W Route 66
This sculpture stands in front of the Tucumcari Civic Center on the west end of town ... read more

East < GO > West

xStay tuned, there's more to come!  

 

x
x About Us We started traveling Historic U.S. Route 66 as a destination in 2009. It's like a 2,400 mile long drive back in time from Chicago to Santa Monica! more
xDid You Know: Many parts of the old 4 lane Route 66 were reverted to a 2 lane road after 66 was realigned to the interstate. In many places the abandoned lanes are still there.