Route 66 Times header image
Home > OK > Bristow >

Bristow Tire Shop

115 W. 4th St., Bristow, OK
Phone:
x

East < GO > West

The original Bristow Tire Shop was built in 1923 as a service station that sold gas, oil, tires, inner tubes, onsite service and towing, etc. Tires and towing were especially valuable to early Route 66 travelers. They stopped selling gas and took the pumps out in 1955, leaving tires and repair services as the main buiness.

The Italian Renaissance Revival station has a hipped, tin tile roof with walls of white and blue glazed bricks. The original building consists of a small, square, brick office with arched windows. Two gas pumps would have been located on the island between the brick front columns. The original little glazed brick building is easily sorted out from the later addtion(s) in back.

xOne really neat feature of the station is the original pressed tin ceeling which is still in place under the pump canopy.

xMaybe even neater than the tin ceiling is the light globes that read Bristow Tire & Auto. The station was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.

Photo(s): 2016

 



 

x
x About Us We started traveling Historic U.S. Route 66 as a destination in 2009. It's like a 2,400 mile long drive back in time from Chicago to Santa Monica! more
xDid You Know: Many parts of the old 4 lane Route 66 were reverted to a 2 lane road after 66 was realigned to the interstate. In many places the abandoned lanes are still there.