The original theatre here opened along side Route 66 in Grants in the
late 1920s and closed in 1930. It reopened as the Lux Theatre in 1937.
J.C. West bought the Lux from C.E. Means in 1950 and might have closed
it for a time in the mid 1960s. In January 1967 the theater reopened after
being remodeled. A furnace fire in 1970 led to it's closing.
The sign for the LUX still retained much of it's neon tubing when this
photo was taken in 2009. Note the pattern of the tubing between the
letters. Lux means light in the Greek language. Various reports list
the theater as having between 450 and 518 seats.
About Us We started traveling Historic U.S. Route 66 as a destination in 2009. It's like a 2,400 mile long drive back in time from Chicago to Santa Monica! more
You Know: Many parts of the old 4 lane Route 66 were reverted to a 2 lane
road after 66 was realigned to the interstate. In many places the abandoned
lanes are still there.