| Home > MO > Halltown >
Halltown MerchantileMain St, Halltown, MO
The Whitehall Merchantile building was built in 1900 as a grocery and post office downstairs and fraternal and community functions upstairs. It sits on the north side of Main Street in Halltown. Main Street was the original Route 66 through town.
In 1985 Thelma White opened Whitehall Mercantile in the building to supplement her teacher's pension. In 1990 she helped co-found the Route 66 Association of Missouri. After her passing her husband, Jerry, took over running the store and continued selling a large assortment of antiques.
The store closed permanently in late 2016.