Route 66 Times header image
Home > MO > Carthage >

Jasper County Courthouse

4th St.& Main, Carthage, MO
Phone:
x

East < GO > West

The 1842 Carthage town survey called for a public square with a courthouse in the center. The town square was to be located on the highest spot in the county. That began the story of three courthouses, the first built in 1842, and the second in 1854, that second one went up in flames in 1863 during the civil war. It was then thirty-two long years before this one was opened on the square in 1895. For at least part of those thirty years the county government operated out of the Kendrick House.

That third courthouse is the one still standing today. It is a marvelous example of Romanesque Revival styling and was built with Carthage limestone.

Several historical markers and monuments surround the courthouse on the square. It is reportedly the second most photographed building In Missouri after the St. Louis Gateway Arch. The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.

Photo(s): 2016

 



 

x
x About Us We started traveling Historic U.S. Route 66 as a destination in 2009. It's like a 2,400 mile long drive back in time from Chicago to Santa Monica! more
xDid You Know: Many parts of the old 4 lane Route 66 were reverted to a 2 lane road after 66 was realigned to the interstate. In many places the abandoned lanes are still there.