The McDougal Filling Station was built about 1941 using native sandstone
in the Ozark Giraffe pattern. The gasoline pumps were originally located
between the station and the highway on the south side with a kerosene
pump on the east side of the station. There never was a service garage
here but the McDougals did operate a small store at the station. They
lived in a long gone house behind the station.
station started out as a Conoco gas but beginning in the early fifties
it sold various brands of gas as time went on. The station closed in
the late 1960s.
station is located abount 3 miles east of Vinita at Route 66 (Hwy 60)
and S4440 Rd). There is a Will Rogers Highway marker just across the
road from the station.It was listed on the National Register of Historic
Places in 2004.
About Us We started traveling Historic U.S. Route 66 as a destination in 2009. It's like a 2,400 mile long drive back in time from Chicago to Santa Monica! more
You Know: Many parts of the old 4 lane Route 66 were reverted to a 2 lane
road after 66 was realigned to the interstate. In many places the abandoned
lanes are still there.