Route 66 Times header image
Home > OK > Stroud >

Stroud Trading Company Building

201 W. Main, Stroud, OK

East < GO > West

Built for the Stroud Trading Company in 1901, the second floor of this building became a lodge hall and opera house in 1902. The trading company sold the building in 1905. The building had several owners over the years. After the opera house closed in 1925 the second floor was remodeled and became the Liberty Hotel. The front of the main floor has been modified a lot over the years to accomdate the various businesses that used the building.

The Stroud Trading Company name is faintly visible at the top of the west wall. The company name stands out in stone at the top of the front of the building as seen below.

The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 at which time the main floor was home to a restaurant. Over the years with various owners and tenants it has housed a garage, a motoe company, a grocery store, and oil well supply business, as well as the previously mentioned hotel and restaurant. When these photos were taken in 2012 and 2017 it appears to be a collector car parts business or private collection.

Photo(s): 2012, 2017



x About Us We started traveling Historic U.S. Route 66 as a destination in 2009. It's like a 2,400 mile long drive back in time from Chicago to Santa Monica! more
xDid You Know: Many parts of the old 4 lane Route 66 were reverted to a 2 lane road after 66 was realigned to the interstate. In many places the abandoned lanes are still there.