The Rex Museum is located at 300 W. Route 66 and contains a lot of Gallup's
history. Built about 1910 as a hotel with commercial space on the first
floor and the hotel on the second floor. It was apparently known first
as the Angeles Hotel and later as the Rex Hotel. The first floor was Tom's
Variety Store from 1958 to at least the late 1970's. The hotel was donated
to the city in 1986. In 1987 it was restored and used as a police substation.
The museum is open Mon-Fri from 8-3:30. The building is on the National
Register of Historic Places
A very cool neon sign for the Rex Museum includes the Historic Route
Murals on the side of the building can be seen behind a collection of
antique carts and wagons in this photo.
About Us We started traveling Historic U.S. Route 66 as a destination in 2009. It's like a 2,400 mile long drive back in time from Chicago to Santa Monica! more
You Know: Many parts of the old 4 lane Route 66 were reverted to a 2 lane
road after 66 was realigned to the interstate. In many places the abandoned
lanes are still there.