| Home > NM
> Gallup >
Lexington Hotel Sign408 W. Route 66, Gallup, NM
In the mid-40s the hotel was sold twice first by the original owner, Mike Butkovich in 1945 for $80,000.00, and in 1n 1947 by the estate of the second owner for $60.000.00. The third owners, Mr. & Mrs. F. M. Edmundson took possession on September 20, 1947. The Edmundsons sold the hotel to Ella Starnes and her daughter in 1955.
Like so many once grand places, the hotel slowly lost it's luster and appeal to the traveling public over the years. As recently as the spring 2018 the building had been serving as a homeless shelter and/or transitional housing. But that use seemed to be in danger of ending due to a lack of funding and the building was put up for sale in 2018..
The original sign is the top portion, a smaller rectangular sign under that was added in early 1970. Both signs were renovated as part of the 2003 New Mexico Route 66 Neon Sign Restoration Project.
Photo(s): 2012, 2015