Burt & Irene Lurvey's 1928 Lurvey Tourist Court on the eastern edge
of Springfield included a gas station and six duplex cabins. The name
was later changed to the Lurvey Motel. By 1965 it was converted to rentals
and now is abandoned. The gas station is also long gone. When we went
by in 2016 they were mostly hidden behind a lot of overgrown brush but
the brush been mostly trimmed back since then.
By the 1950s the original wood-frame cabins had been remodeled with
the addition of sandstone exteriors in the familiar Ozark Giraffe Rock
cabins had been moved to this location from nearby Strafford. As of
early 2019 they are still owned by the Lurvey's children.
About Us We started traveling Historic U.S. Route 66 as a destination in 2009. It's like a 2,400 mile long drive back in time from Chicago to Santa Monica! more
You Know: Many parts of the old 4 lane Route 66 were reverted to a 2 lane
road after 66 was realigned to the interstate. In many places the abandoned
lanes are still there.