| Home > AZ > Williams >
Grand Canyon Railway & Motel235 N Grand Canyon Blvd., Williams, AZ
Phone: 928-635-4010 link
A sleek modern rail car parked in front of the newer depot for the Grand Canyon Railway. Trains began carrying passengers from Williams to the Grand Canyon 1901. The service was interrupted for several years in beginning in 1969 and didn't start again until 1990.
The historic depot and former Fray Marcos (Harvey House) Hotel is still standing alongside the tracks in Williams. Development of the historic Fray Marcos Hotel started in 1901 with a curio shop next to the depot, the hotel itself didn't officially open until 1908. At the time the depot served the Santa Fe Railway.
The hotel had 22 guest rooms and 10 employee rooms on the second floor. It was designed by architect Francis W. Wilson of Santa Barbara, California. In 1925 a two story addition with 21 additional guest rooms was built. The newer Grand Canyon Railway Motel is located behind the newer depot.
The Grand Canyon Railway engine number 9 was parked out front when we took this photo. It was restored at a cost of over $1,000,000.00 and took over 26,000 man hours of labor.