Several blocks of Broadway in downtown Davenport are still paved with
bricks from the Davenport Brick & Tile Company that were laid in 1925
or 1926. The road is a little narrower outside the main business district
where it widens to accomodate parking. Wide concrete shoulder strips hold
the brick in place on top of a sand base. The brick plant operated from
1911 to 1929.
The brick street ran from Frisco on the south to 6th St on the north
basically connecting Route 66 on the north (at 7th) and the Frisco Railroad
Depot on the south.
The brick paved section of Broadway Ave was placed on the National
Register of Historic Places in 2004.
About Us We started traveling Historic U.S. Route 66 as a destination in 2009. It's like a 2,400 mile long drive back in time from Chicago to Santa Monica! more
You Know: Many parts of the old 4 lane Route 66 were reverted to a 2 lane
road after 66 was realigned to the interstate. In many places the abandoned
lanes are still there.