Route 66 Times header image
Home > MO > Springfield >

Discovery Center of Springfield (DCS)

438 E St. Louis St., Springfield, MO

East < GO > West

In 1992 Discovery Center of Springfield acquired three 1920's buildings that were originally car dealerships. The first two buildings were renovated then and in 2003 the third building was torn down and replaced by a new addition.

The first building was the Martin Motor Co which sold Chrysler and Plymouth cars from 1922 until 1955. The middle building was home to the Thompson Tire Company from 1924 to 1928, check out the large "T" above the windows on the front of the building. That building later became a Buick dealership. The third building was McGregor Motor Co from 1922 to 1936. And the Pittsburgh Plate Glass store from 1947 to 1987 and then the Continental Bus depot from 1968 to 1987.

x There is a Trail of Tears sign in front of the DCS. The National Park Service installed these new markers across Springfield marking the route of the Trail of Tears in 2016. These signs commemorate the forced relocation of 16,000 Cherokee Indians from around Georgia in 1838 and 1839.

Photo(s): 2016



x About Us We started traveling Historic U.S. Route 66 as a destination in 2009. It's like a 2,400 mile long drive back in time from Chicago to Santa Monica! more
xDid You Know: Many parts of the old 4 lane Route 66 were reverted to a 2 lane road after 66 was realigned to the interstate. In many places the abandoned lanes are still there.