| Home > KS > Baxter Springs >
Baxter Springs Route 66 Visitor Center940 Military Ave., Baxter Springs, KS
This 1930s cottage style gas station was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places in 2003 and restored to its 1940s look a few years later. It now serves as the Baxter Springs Kansas Route 66 Visitor Center and Gift Shop. The walls inside are covered with the signatures of hundreds of Route 66 travelers.
The original station was built in early 1930 and was much smaller that the building is today. The service bay and part of the center section was added in 1940. The original station ended where the chimney is on the roof now.
A pair of vintage Phillips 66 gas pumps stand in front of the station. They appear to be from two different design periods, or at least two different manufacturers.