| Home > AZ > Winslow >
Hotel Chief210 E. 2nd Ave., Winslow, AZ
The 1931 phonebook which was apparently printed before the name change lists it as the Howell Hotel. Located on E. 2nd Avenue it is only a half block or so west of the LaPosada Hotel. In 1932 this was the Greyhound Bus Depot where you could hop a bus to Los Angels for only $24.45 or Chicago for just $65.55.
The 20 unit three story building has an elevator which was added during renovations after a fire in 1975. The fire and renovation led to another name change from the Chief Hotel to the Centennial Hall at which time the building became a senior housing site. That name didn't last long and few years later it became the Hill Apartments. In 2005 the building was renamed again, this time the Chief Apartments.
The hotel only occupied the top two floors of the building. The then new owners of the Winslow News paper had the building built in 1926 and the newspaper was located on the first floor until 1948.
The front of the first floor has been completely remodeled somewhere along the line. When the paper was located in the building their front door was in the center of the first floor with large windows on each side.
On the far right side of the front of the building a single walk-in door led to a stairway to the hotel.