Joseph Brownlee built this now abandoned Art Moderne style Texaco gas
station in 1950. There were three gas pumps between the posts hold that
the canopy up. There is another pump island barely visible on the drivers
side of this car. That island also held three gas pumps. The sign posts
on the left in this photo no longer have a sign on top.
The 1968 Pontiac that has been sitting there for decades belonged to
Brownlee's son-in-law Larry Lee Travis. Travis died during a robbery
while working at a Standard station he operated just east of Adrian
Texas in 1976. The car was brought the car back to Glenrio and at some
point parked in front of this station where it has sat ever since.
About Us We started traveling Historic U.S. Route 66 as a destination in 2009. It's like a 2,400 mile long drive back in time from Chicago to Santa Monica! more
You Know: Many parts of the old 4 lane Route 66 were reverted to a 2 lane
road after 66 was realigned to the interstate. In many places the abandoned
lanes are still there.