| Home > OK > Catoosa >
Route 66, Catoosa, OK
The "almost twin" bridges over Bird Creek (formerly the Virdigris
River) have an interesting history. They don't look like twins in this
photo because the westbound bridge was replaced in 2011. It was built
in 1936 and was 24 feet wide, The eastbound truss bridge (on the right
in this photo) was built in 1957 when the road became a four lane highway.
The 1936 bridge was refurbished in 1957 and both were then dedicated to
former highway commissioner H. Tom Kight, Jr. at that time. Both the 1936
and 1957 bridges were a bit over 825 feet with the longest span for each
being 210 feet.
The center truss of the old westbound bridge was relocated to serve
as part of the entry road to Molly's Landing. You can see the old location
on the far right side of this photo.
In addition they moved two of the 1936 trusses to the entrance of the
Rogers Point Public Park next to the eastbound span of the Twin Bridges.
They also have a monument there. Two other of the pieces are off to
the right side of the westbound lanes, close to Molly's Landing Restaurant.
It is unknown if this is the permanent place for them.
Historic Marker on for the east bound bridge. The marker reads:
Dedicated as an honor to a
faithful public servant
for his many
Born at Claremore Okla,
in the heart of the
"Will Rogers" country
Claremore City Attorney
1935 to 1945
State Senator 1950-1954
State Highway Commissioner
Member 1955, Chmn. 1956
identical marker, this one for the westbound bridges, is now located
at the boat launching area just north of the original location. Both
markers carry the same text.
Photo(s): 2012 - 2013