| Home > AZ > Kingman >
Powerhouse Visitors Center120 W. Andy Devine Ave., Kingman, AZ
The Powerhouse Visitor Center in Kingman opened in 1997 and also is the headquarters of Route 66 Association of Arizona. It is located in the historic Desert Power & Water Company Electric Power Plant which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. The building was built in 1907-08 with additions in 1909-1911. It consisted of 3 main buildings; a powerhouse, a transformer house and an office and was built to supply electricity to Kingman and mining operations in the area. When the Hoover Dam was completed in 1938 this power plant was assigned to standby duty.
There is a nice Route 66 Museum here as well as a gift shop and visitor information desk.
There is also a nice Electric Car Museum here that has a wide range of electric vehicle on display.